#97:  Oak Creek Pass

<< 1 2 >>


Willow Pass Rd, 4.6 mi S of Tehachapi Blvd





Private Plaque



From the plaque:

Father Francisco Garcés used the Oak Creek Pass in 1776 to return to the Mojave after exploring the San Joaquin Valley, as did Frémont in 1844-1845. Until the building of the railroad through the Tehachapi Pass in 1876, Oak Creek Pass was the only route used through the Tehachapi Mountains.

Dedicated June 8, 1937. Bakersfield Parlor No. 42 N.S.G.W., Bakersfield Parlor No. 239, N.D.G.W., Kern County Historical Society, Kern County Chamber of Commerce, Department of Natural Resources

©2009 David Schmitt