From the plaque:
Discovered by Joseph R. Walker,
American trail-blazer, who left the San Joaquin Valley
through this pass in 1834. This area was traversed by
topographer Edward M. Kern, after whom the Kern River
was named, while accompanying the Frémont expedition
of 1845. After 1860 it became a mining freight route to
Dedicated April 25, 1937. Marker placed by Bakersfield Parlor No 42, N.S.G.W., El Tejon Parlor No 239 N.S.G.W., Kern County Chamber of Commerce.