From the plaque:
Founded in 1856 by L. A.
Whitmore, who operated first Kings River ferry crossing. After 1858 town became stopping place for Butterfield
stages. A toll bridge superseded the ferry
in 1873. On December 26, 1873, Tiburcio Vásquez
and his bandit gang made bold raid on town, robbing the entire
Tablet placed by California Centennials Commission, base furnished by Kings County Centennials Committee. Dedicated February 4, 1950.