.

#897:  Old Lake County Courthouse

<< 1 2 3 >>

Location:

255 N Main St, Lakeport

39.043554,-122.915708

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

This brick courthouse, constructed by A. P. Pettit in 1870-71, was one of the few buildings in the vicinity to survive the 1906 earthquake with only minor damage. It served Lake County as a seat of government from 1871 until 1968. Precedent-setting trials on water rights were held here, along with the 'White Cap' murder trial in 1890.


From the plaque:

Lake county's century-old classic courthouse, designed by A.P. Pettit in 1871, served as the seat of county government from 1871 until 1968 when it was replaced by the new courthouse, among the court's landmark cases were the white cap murders, a notorious episode in vigilantism held here in 1890, and several water right cases which set precedent still in effect.

Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Lake County Bicentennial Committee and the old courthouse committee, January 29, 1978.



2009 David Schmitt