.

#156:  Los Angeles Plaza

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >>

Location:

El Pueblo de Los Angeles Historic Monument, 500 block of N Main St, Los Angeles

34.056597,-118.238804

 

 

Plaque:

Private Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

A part of the original pueblo lands of El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles de Porciuncula founded in 1781 under the Spanish Laws of the Indies during the reign of King Carlos III, the plaza is located close to the site of the original plaza. It was the center of the settlement founded by Governor Felipe de Neve. When the Plaza Church was completed in 1822, this site was reserved as a public plaza. It was landscaped in 1871 and has served since that date as a public park.


From the plaque:

This site was part of the lands originally granted to El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles in 1781 by the King of Spain, Carlos III, under the Spanish Law of the Indies. The first plaza of the pueblo had been located to the southeast, closer to the Rio Porciuncula (Los Angeles River). When the river flooded, the pueblo was moved to higher ground. Shortly after the dedication of the Plaza Church in December 1822, the plaza's location was changed again to the present site.

Plaque originally placed by California Parlor No. 247 Native Daughters of the Golden West on August 12, 1950.



©2009 David Schmitt