.

#161:  Site of Mission Vieja

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

SW corner N San Gabriel Blvd and N Lincoln Ave, Montebello

34.030795,-118.073269

 

 

Plaque:

Private Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

'Mission Vieja,' Old Mission, was the name given to the first buildings erected, and later abandoned, by the fathers for Mission San Gabriel Arcángel. The permanent buildings for the mission were located about five miles distant.


From the plaque:

This tablet was erected by Walter P. Temple and blessed by Right Reverend John J. Cantwell, Bishop of Monterey and Los Angeles, July 31, 1921 to commemorate the founding of Mission San Gabriel Archangel on this ground at Old Mission by Rev. Fathers Angel Somera and Pedro B. Cambon, Sept 8, 1771.



©2009 David Schmitt