From the Guidebook:
In 1852 German immigrant
Augustus W. Timms obtained Sepúlveda's Landing
on the mudflats near here. He built a wharf, added a warehouse,
corral and other facilities to service shipping and the
running of stages to Los Angeles. Timms was a pioneer
in the development of the harbor and for over fifty years
this area was known as Timms Point.