From the Guidebook:
This site was the location
of a combination store, post office, telegraph office,
tavern, and stage depot accommodating travelers during
the Kern River gold rush in the early 1850s. A regular
stop for Butterfield and other early California stage
lines, it was purchased by Sanford and Cyrus Lyons in
1855, and by 1868 at least twenty families lived here.
Eternal Valley Memorial Park has called their final resting
place "The Garden of the Pioneers."