.

#822:  First Jewish Site in Los Angeles

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

Chavez Ravine, behind US Naval and Marine Corps Reserve Center, on Lilac Terrace near Lookout Dr, Los Angeles

34.069451,-118.241073

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

The Hebrew Benevolent Society of Los Angeles (1854), first charitable organization in the city, acquired this site from the city council by deed of April 9, 1855. This purchase of a sacred burial ground represented the first organized community effort by the pioneer Jewish settlers.



©2009 David Schmitt