.

#947:  "Reform School for Juvenile Offenders" (Fred C. Nelles School)

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

Location:

Department of the Youth Authority entrance, 11850 E Whittier Blvd, Whittier

33.978874,-118.049443

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

The institution is closed, but no access is allowed. It's unclear what the site is used for today, if anything. Plaque accessible at any time.


From the Guidebook:

The March 11, 1889 Act of the California Legislature authorized the establishment of a school for juvenile offenders. Dedication and laying of cornerstone was done by Governor R. W. Waterman on February 12, 1890. Officially opened as 'Whittier State School' for boys and girls on July 1, 1891. Girls were transferred in 1916 and only boys have been in residence since that time. Renamed 'Fred C. Nelles School for Boys' in 1941 ('For Boys' was dropped around 1970). This school has been in continuous operation serving the needs of juvenile offenders since 1891.



©2009 David Schmitt