Contained within this building
are the remaining portions of an adobe house built by
Francisco Salvador Lugo and his son Antonio María
Lugo. Francisco Lugo was a prominent early landholder
and Antonio served as the Alcalde of Los Angeles. They
completed the building by 1810. Henry Tifft Gage acquired
the property in 1880 and lived here from 1883 until 1924.
Gage served as the Governor of California from 1899 to