From the plaque:
Grace Nicholson, a noted
collector and authority on American Indian and Asian Art
and artifacts, supervised the design of her combination
gallery and museum which was begun in 1924. It has
been called an outstanding example of 1920s revival architecture
and is distinctive in its use of Chinese ornamentation. The museum is the work of the noted architectural firm of Marston Van Pelt and Maybury. The building served as the Pasadena Museum of Art from 1943 to 1969, when it became the Pacific Asia Museum in 1971.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Pacific Asia Museum, October 24, 1999.