.

#207:  First Sawmill in Marin County

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

Location:

Old Mill Park, Throckmorton and Cascade Dr, Mill Valley, state plaque located at NW corner of Blithedale Ave and Tower Dr, private plaque located at mill site

Plaque: 37.903724,-122.519152
Site: 37.90491,-122.553212

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

This mill was erected by John Reed about 1833-34 on Rancho Corte Madera del Presidio- 'the wood cutting place for the Presidio'-present-day Mill Valley. Reed built the first house in Sausalito and the first ferryboat to ply San Francisco Bay.


From the state plaque:

Two miles west is the old saw mill from which the city of Mill Valley acquired its name. it was constructed in the 1830's by John Reed, grantee of the Ranch Corte do Madera Del Presidio. The creek waters furnished the motive power for the mill, which was the first in the San Francisco Bay Region to supply lumber.

Marker placed by California Centennials Commission in cooperation with Marin County Historical Society. Dedicated October 17, 1950


From the private plaque:

Built in the 1830's by John Reed, grantee of the Rancho Corte de Medera del Presidio.

Preserved by Marin Native Sons and Daughters of the Golden West. April 5, 1959



©2009 David Schmitt