.

#220:  Mission San Rafael Arcangel

<< 1 2 3 >>

Location:

5th Ave and A St, San Rafael, state plaque is at NE corner Merrydale and Southbound 101, San Pedro Rd offramp

Plaque: 37.995319,-122.534573
Site: 37.974351,-122.527997

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

One and a half miles southwest was the San Rafael Arcangel Mission established in 1817 by the Franciscans. This was the twentieth in the chain of 21 California missions. After the "decree of secularization" in 1834, the buildings gradually fell into ruin. Reconstruction of the mission on the original site took place in 1949.

Marker placed by California Centennials Commission in cooperation with Marin County Historical Society. Dedicated October 24, 1950



©2009 David Schmitt