.

#222:  Lime Kilns

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >>

Location:

300 ft W of State Hwy 1 (P.M. 22.1), 4.2 mi S of Olema

37.988633,-122.747910

 

 

Plaque:

No Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

Tradition is that the lime kilns were built by Russian stonemasons and worked by Indians during the Russian occupation of Sonoma County, which began in the spring of 1812. The Russians probably used the lime to whitewash their windmills, farm buildings, granaries, storehouses, and cattle yards, to tan hides, and to manufacture brick and tile.



©2009 David Schmitt