.

#518:  Agua Fria

<< 1 2 3 >>

Location:

4189 State Hwy 140 (P.M. 172), 3.2 mi W of Mariposa

37.481171,-120.010623

 

 

Plaque:

Private Plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

One fourth mile north of Carson Creek, tributary of Agua Fria, was located Agua Fria, first county seat of Mariposa County in 1850-1851 one of original 27 counties in California. Until 1852, while mining was main industry of region, Mariposa County comprised 1/6 of the state and included all of what is now Merced, Madera, Fresno, Tulare, Kings, and Kern Counties. Town of Mariposa became seat of government in 1852 & the courthouse was completed in 1854.

Plaque erected May 16, 1954 by Mariposa Parlor No. 63 Native Daughters of the Golden West. California State Park Commission



David Schmitt