.

#670:  Mariposa County Courthouse

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

Location:

10th and Bullion Sts, Mariposa

37.488801,-119.967152

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

This mortise and tenon Greek Revival courthouse, erected in 1854, is California's oldest court of law and has served continuously as the seat of county government since 1854. During the 19th century, landmark mining cases setting legal precedent were tried here, and much United States mining law is based on decisions emanating from this historic courthouse.

Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Mariposa County Bicentennial, July 3, 1976.



©2009 David Schmitt