.

#674:  Round Valley

<< 1 2 3 >>

Location:

State Hwy 162 (P.M. 23.7), 5 mi S of Covelo

39.729452,-123.251973

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

This valley was discovered by Frank M. Azbill, who arrived from Eden Valley on May 15, 1854. During the same year, Charles Kelsey from Clear Lake also visited it and George E. White sighted it from Blue Nose.


From the plaque:

The first inhabitants of Round Valley were the Yuki who resided here for thousands of years in harmony with their natural surroundings. In 1854, Europeans settlers entered the valley. In 1856, conflicts between settlers and Yuki escalated and to protect local tribes the entire watershed was designated a reservation. Additional tribes were subsequently forced on the property: Nomlacki, Wylaki, Lassik, Sinkyone, Pomo (including Cahto, Kabyeo, Shodakai, Yokayo, Shokawa, Shanel, Kashaya, and Habenapo amoung others), Wappo, Concow Maidu, Colusa, and Achumawi in 1864, the government reduced the reservation by four/fifths, to its current size.

Plaque first placed May 30, 1959. This plaque placed by the State Deptartment of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the people of Mendocino County, March 21, 2002.



2009 David Schmitt