From the plaque:
On June 21, 1805, on his
first exploratory journey into the San Joaquin Valley,
Lieutenant Gabriel Moraga traversed and recorded this
pass. Since then it has been trail, toll road, stagecoach
road, and freeway-the principal route between the coastal
areas to the west and the great valley and mountains to
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Merced County Historical Advisory Committee and the Native Daughters of the Golden West, June 18, 1969.