.

#109:  Chimney Rock

<< 1 2 3 >>

Location:

Beside RR track along State Hwy 395 (P.M. 30.3), 7.5 mi N of intersection of 395 and 299 in Alturas

41.565517,-120.441200

 

 

Plaque:

Private plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

The chimney was cut out of the solid rock by Thomas L. Denson, who came west by the way of the Santa Fe Trail in 1852. In 1870 Denson built his cabin, the second building to be erected in the Pit River Valley, alongside a pyramid-shaped rock, cutting the fireplace and flue out of the solid rock itself.


From the plaque:

Site of pioneer cabin built by Thomas A. Denson in 1871. This marker is dedicated to the pioneers of Modoc County by Alturas Parlor 159, Native Daughters of the Golden West, September 21, 1932.



©2009 David Schmitt