.

#1:  Custom House

<< 1 2 3 >>

Location:

Monterey State Historic Park, Custom House Plaza, near Fisherman's Wharf pier, Monterey

36.603399,-121.893490

 

 

Plaque:

Private Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

Commodore John Drake Sloat raised the American flag over this building on July 7, 1846 to signal the passing of California from Mexican to American rule. Restored through the efforts of the Native Sons of the Golden West with the assistance of the people of California.


From the Plaque:

Constructed in 1827 by the Mexican government to collect custom duties from foreign shipping. A principal revenue source when Monterey was teh capital of Alta California, Mexico's northernmost province. Thomas O. Larkin, US consul to Alta California, contracted with the Mexican government in 1841 to rebuild and enlarge the custom house. Commodore John Drake Sloat raised the American flag over the building on July 7, 1846 to signal the passing of California from Mexican to American rule. Restored through the efforts of the Native Sons of the Golden West with the assistance of the people of California.

Registered June 1, 1932

National historic landmark designated 1960. Plaque placed by the Native Sons of the Golden West, the California State Parks Foundation, and California State Parks. Rededicated 2014, the 150th anniversary of California State Parks.


2009 David Schmitt