#105:  Royal Presidio Chapel of San Carlos Borromeo

<< 1 2 3 >>


550 Church St near Figueroa





Private Plaque



From the Guidebook:

Established as a mission by Father Serra, June 3, 1770, this became the royal Presidio Chapel when the mission was moved to Carmel. The chapel was rebuilt with stone in 1791 and became the parish church in 1835, due to secularization. In a dilapidated condition in 1850, it was reconstructed and altered with money donated by Governor Pacheco in 1858.

From the National Plaque:

Royal Presidio Chapel has been designated a registered National Historic Landmark.

Under the provisions of the historic sites act of August 11, 1933 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United States. U.S. Department of the Interior. National Park Service. 1961

2009 David Schmitt