From the plaque:
This mission, founded October
9,1791 by Father Fermín Francisco de Lasuén,
ministered to the Indians of the Salinas Valley. Governor
José Joaquín de Arrillaga died here July
24, 1814 and was buried in the chapel. Prosperous in its
early years, Soledad declined after 1825, but Father Vicente
Francisco Sarría stayed on in poverty, faithfully served
the Indians until his death in 1835. Secularized in 1835, the mission was regranted to the Bishop of Monterey
in 1859. In ruins after 1874, the chapel was reconstructed
and dedicated under the auspices of the Native Daughters
of the Golden West, October 9, 1955.
Plaque placed by Grand Parlors, Native Daughters of the Golden West and Native Sons of the Golden West, in cooperation with the California State Park Commission, October 14, 1956.