From the Guidebook:
Operated by Hiram Cory, this
was one of the first ferries to cross the Salinas River.
The Monterey County Board of Supervisors regulated the
toll which was, in 1877: buggy and horse, 25 cents, buggy
and horses, 37-1/2 cents, four horses and wagon, 85 cents,
six horses and wagon, $1, horse and saddle, 25 cents,
and man on foot, 12-1/2 cents. The ferry operated until
a bridge was built in 1889.