From the plaque:
Combined American forces
under Captains Charles D. Burrass (or Burroughs) and Bluford
K. Thompson clashed with Comandante Manuel de Jesús
Castro's Californians in this vicinity on November 16,
1846. Casualties on each side consisted of several men
killed and wounded. The Americans saved a large herd of
horses for Lt. Col. John C. Frémont, who then later
proceeded south to participate in the Armistice at Cahuenga
in January 1847.
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Monterey County Historical Society and the County of Monterey, November 16, 1958. Rededication by Monterey-Viejo No. 1846, E Clampus Vitus, October 29, 1983.