.

#951:  Light Stations of California, Point Sur Light Station

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>

Location:

St Hwy 1, 23 mi S of Monterey and 3 mi N of Andrew Molera State Park. Plaque located at base of road leading up to the lighthouse.

Plaque: 36.305803,-121.897658
Site: 36.306239,-121.901531

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

Site is part of Point Sur State Historic Park and is gated. Tours available. Fee required.


From the plaque:

Spanish explorers and later New England hide and tallow traders found the Big Sur coastline a great hazard. Heavy fogs and extreme winds caused the wreck of many vessels on this coast. The gold rush of 1849 dramatically increased coastal shipping. A lighthouse was clearly needed. President Andrew Johnson signed the Executive Order which reserved the site for lighthouse purposes in 1866. Construction began in 1887 and the lamp was lit on August 1, 1889.

Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Central Coast Lighthouse Keepers. September 28, 1994



2009 David Schmitt