.

#561:  Schramsberg

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Location:

End of Schramsberg Rd, on Hwy 29, 3.1 mi S of Calistoga

38.550200,-122.537959

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

Founded in 1862 by Jacob Schram. This was the first hillside winery of the Napa Valley. Robert Louis Stevenson, visiting here in 1880, devoted a chapter of his “Silverado Squatters” to Schramsberg and its wines. Ambrose Bierce and Lilly Hitchcock Coit were other cherished friends. The original house and winery have been excellently preserved.

Plaque placed by California State Park Commission in cooperation with Napa County Historical Society. April 6, 1957



©2009 David Schmitt