.

#298:  Empire Mine

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >>

Location:

10791 Empire St, 1.2 mi E of Grass Valley

39.206939,-121.046720

 

 

Plaque:

Private Plaque

Notes:

Plaque and site are part of a state park. Access limited to hours of operation.


From the Guidebook:

The Empire Mine was originally located by George D. Roberts in October 1850. In the spring of 1854, the Empire Mining Company was incorporated and in 1865 new works, including a 30-stamp mill, were erected. In 1869 Wm. B. Bourn, Sr. purchased the Empire, when he died, Wm. B. Bourn, Jr. took over its management. The Empire was in constant operation from 1850 to the late 1950s.


From the plaque:

The Empire Mines 1850. This plaque marks the site of the Empire Mine, noted for its continuous operation 1850-1957, producing over $120,000,000 in gold.

Dedicated March 17, 1963 by Manzanita Parlor No. 29 Native Daughters of the Golden West



©2009 David Schmitt