.

#390:  Bridgeport Historic District

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >>

Location:

South Yuba River State Park, 17660 Pleasant Valley Road

39.291978,-121.195111

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

Plaque and site are part of a state park. Access limited to hours of operation.


From the plaque:

Also known as "Bridgeport (Nye's Crossing) Covered Bridge." Built in 1862 by David Isaac John Wood with lumber from his mill in Sierra County, this bridge was part of the Virginia Turnpike Company toll road which served the northern mines and the busy Nevada Comstock Lode. Utilizing a combination truss and arch construction, it is the longest single span covered bridge in the United States. In 1970 it was designated a National Civil Engineering Landmark, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in July 1971. The historic district includes the bridge, an 1862 barn, 1927 gas station, a portion of the original Virginia Turnpike toll road, and the Kneebone Family Cemetery.



©2009 David Schmitt