.

#843:  North Star Mine Powerhouse

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

Mining and Pelton Wheel Museum, McCourtney Rd at Allison Ranch Rd, Grass Valley

39.208549,-121.069896

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

The North Star Powerhouse, built by A.D. Foote in 1895, was the first complete water powered compressed air transmission plant of its kind. Compressed air, generated by Pelton Water Wheels, furnished power for the entire mine operation. The 30 foot Pelton Wheel was the largest in the world, and was in continuous use for over 30 years.

Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Nevada County Historical Society, May 15, 1971.



©2009 David Schmitt