.

#855:  Mount Saint Mary's Convent and Academy

<< 1 2 3 >>

Location:

S Church St between Chapel and Dalton Sts, Grass Valley

39.214412,-121.067551

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

Built by the Reverend Thomas J. Dalton and dedicated May 2, 1865 by Bishop Eugene O’Connell as Sacred Heart Convent and Holy Angels Orphanage. Under the Sisters of Mercy it served from 1866 to 1932 as the first orphanage of the Northern Mines. It functioned as an Academy (1868 - 1965) and a convent (1866 - 1968).

Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Mount Saint Mary’s Historic Preservation Committee and the Sisters of Mercy, October 28, 1972.



©2009 David Schmitt