.

#914:  Holbrooke Hotel

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

212 W Main St, Grass Valley

39.219204,-121.063612

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

The hotel was built in 1862 around the Golden Gate Saloon, originally constructed in 1852 and the oldest continuously operating saloon in the Mother Lode region. The hotel's one-story fieldstone and brick construction is an outstanding example of mid-19th century Mother Lode masonry structures.


From the plaque:

The present bar of the hotel has been in continuous operation since 1852, when it was known as the Golden Gate Saloon. The wooden building had a back extension known as the Exchange Hotel and offered food and lodging by January 1853. The saloon was destroyed in the fire of 1855 and was rebuilt out of fieldstone with a brick front. The Holbrooke, built 1862 had the adjacent Golden Gate Saloon incorporated in the hotel building.

Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Nevada County Landmarks Commission, March 18, 1978.



©2009 David Schmitt