Site information:Monterey State Historic Park, Custom House Plaza, near Olivier St and Fisherman's Wharf, Monterey
Plaque text:Custom House
Constructed in 1827 by the Mexican government to collect custom duties from foreign shipping. A principal revenue source when Monterey was the capital of Alta California, Mexico's northernmost province. Thomas O. Larkin, US consul to Alta California, contracted with the Mexican government in 1841 to rebuild and enlarge the custom house. Commodore John Drake Sloat raised the American flag over the building on July 7, 1846 to signal the passing of California from Mexican to American rule. Restored through the efforts of the Native Sons of the Golden West with the assistance of the people of California. Registered June 1, 1932
National historic landmark designated 1960. Plaque placed by the Native Sons of the Golden West, the California State Parks Foundation, and California State Parks. Rededicated 2014, the 150th anniversary of California State Parks.
Built in 1827 by the Mexican government, the Custom House played a critical role in the functioning of the Mexican government, as duties from foreign commerce were the prime source of revenue. On July 7, 1846, Commodore John D. Sloat raised the American flag over the building marking the official takeover of California by the U.S. military. The building remained an important edifice during the transition to American rule, and over time became a valued symbol of an earlier age. The building was preserved through the efforts of the Native Sons of the Golden West and the citizens of California.