#0604 Site of Sam Brannan House


#0604 Site of Sam Brannan House

Site information:

112 J St, Old Sacramento


Plaque information:

State plaque

Plaque text:

Vernon-Brannon House

Sacramento's first post office was located on this lot in 1849. In 1853, Henry E. Robinson bought the lot from Samuel Brannan and built this three story brick building, naming it the Jones Hotel. The Sacramento Pioneer Association first organized in this building in 1854. In 1855, it became a boarding house called the Vernon House, owned by Miss O.J. Clark. In 1865, Samuel Brannan bought the building, turned it back into a hotel, and renamed it Brannan House. This building was lifted approximately nine feet in 1865.

Memorial sponsored by the estate of Bobbie Jo Castleman, 1926 - 2013 in cooperation with California State Parks.

OHP description:

This building, erected by Henry E. Robinson in 1853 on land owned by Sam Brannan, was used as the first meeting place of the Pioneer Association and other organizations of early days.

Registered 5/22/1957