#0951 Battery Point Lighthouse

Title

#0951 Battery Point Lighthouse

Site information:

Battery Pt Island, end of A St, Crescent City

Site and plaque can be walked to during low tides only.

41.744227, -124.203075

Plaque information:

State plaque

Plaque text:

Battery Point Lighthouse

The Battery Point Lighthouse is one of the first lighthouses on the California coast. Rugged mountains and unbridged rivers meant coastal travel was essential for the economic survival of this region. In 1855 Congress appropriated $15,000 for the construction of the light station, which was completed in 1856 by the U.S. Lighthouse Service. Theophilis Magruder was the station's first keeper; Wayne Piland was its last before automation in 1953.

Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Del Norte County Historical Society, September 19, 1987.

Collection

Tags

Geolocation