#0166 French Gulch


#0166 French Gulch

Site information:

3 mi N of Hwy 299 at French Gulch Rd. on Trinity Hill Rd, French Gulch

40.697874, -122.638288

Plaque information:

State plaque

Plaque text:

French Gulch

Founded nearby by French miners in 1849, the town of Morrowville, relocated here, was the center of one of the state's richest gold producing areas. Total production was over $20,000,000. One of California's first stamp mills operated at the nearby Franklin Mine. From 1856 to 1858 French Gulch was the trailhead on the western branch of the California-Oregon Trail. St. Rose Catholic Church was founded in 1856. As a supply and stopping place, the town rivaled Shasta.

First registered January 11, 1935.  Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Gertrude Moss Historical Fund, Shasta Historical Society and Trinitarianus Chapter #62, E Clampus Vitus.  July 24, 1993.

Registered 1/11/1935