Site information:800 Asilomar Blvd., Pacific Grove
Conference center is private property, but plaque is generally accessible to visit.
Plaque information:State plaque
Located in front of main conference center building.
Plaque text:Asilomar State Beach and Conference Grounds
In 1913 the Young Women's Christian Association founded Asilomar as its first permanent conference grounds for the western United States. Constructed during a time of progressive social and political change for women in California and the United States, the YWCA chose architect Julia Morgan to design Asilomar's buildings and grounds. In 1952 a local "Save Asilomar" committee lobbied the YWCA and the state of California to preserve the property. Asilomar became a California State Park on July 1, 1956.
Registered February 7, 2014. Plaque placed by the Native Sons of the Golden West, The California State Parks Foundation, and California State Parks. Dedicated 2014, the 150th anniversary of California state parks.
OHP description:Located on the Monterey Peninsula in the city of Pacific Grove, Asilomar had its start in 1913 as a young women's summer camp and conference facility - an outgrowth of the inspired vision of the resourceful, socially-concerned and committed women of the YWCA. The historic buildings in were designed and built by renowned California architect Julia Morgan between 1913 and 1928, in the First Bay Tradition, a regional off-shoot of the Arts and Crafts Movement. Asilomar represents one of the largest collections of Morgan's work in the First Bay Tradition in one location. California State Parks has owned and operated Asilomar since 1956.