#0080 Montgomery Block


#0080 Montgomery Block

Site information:

600 Montgomery St, San Francisco

Although the plaque indicates otherwise, the building was torn down in 1959.


Plaque information:

State plaque

The plaque is located inside the building, so may be inaccessible after hours. It is visible from outside.

Plaque text:

The Montgomery Block

This, San Francisco's first fireproof building, erected in 1853 by Henry Wager Halleck, was the headquarters for many outstanding lawyers, financiers, writers, actors, and artists. James King of William, editor of the Bulletin, died here on May 14, 1856 after being shot by James Casey. Escaping destruction in the fire of 1906, the building is preserved in memory of those who lived and worked in it.

Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Sociey of California Pioneers.

Registered 3/29/1933