#0841 The Conservatory

Title

#0841 The Conservatory

Site information:

Golden Gate Park, on J. F. Kennedy Dr near intersection with Nancy Pelosi Dr, San Francisco

37.772291,-122.460102

Plaque information:

State plaque

Plaque text:

The Conservatory

California's first municipal greenhouse was completed in 1879. It was patterned after The Conservatory, Kew Gardens, England A distinguished example of late Victorian style using early techniques of mass production and assembly of simple glass units.It was given to the City of San Francisco by public-spirited citizens.

Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the San Francisco Recreation and Park Commission and California Historical Society, November 19, 1970.

Registered 9/1/1970

Geolocation