#0027 Portola Expedition Camp

Title

#0027 Portola Expedition Camp

Site information:

At the end of Hillcrest Blvd, just west of the 280, Millbrae

Nothing remains of the site, as it is underwater.

37.588959,-122.413143

Plaque information:

Private plaque

37.588959,-122.413143

Plaque text:

First Camp After Discovery of San Francisco Bay

On November 4, 1769, the expedition of Captain Gaspar de Portola, after crossing Sweeney Ridge, beheld the Bay of San Francisco for the first time. That night they camped at a small lagoon, now covered by San Andreas Lake. Finding the Bay too large to go around and thinking they had bypassed Monterey Bay, the expedition camped here again on November 12, 1769 on their return to San Diego.

First mad a state registered historical landmark no. 27, June 15 1932, this site was rededicated as a U.S.A. bicentennial project of San Andreas Lake Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution and the City of Millbrae, California on November 6, 1976.

Location granted by the State of California. Monument base of serpentine rock, official state rock of California. Furnished by The San Francisco Water Department.

OHP desription:

The Portolá Expedition of 1769 camped near a lagoon now covered by San Andreas Lake on November 4. They camped here a second time on November 12, on their return trip.
Registered 6/15/1932

Collection

Tags

Geolocation