Site information:Ferndale City Hall Park, intersection of Main and Herbert Sts, Ferndale
Plaque information:State plaque
This pioneer agricultural community, settled in 1852, helped feed the booming population of mid-century San Francisco. Long known as 'cream city,' Ferndale made innovative and lasting contributions to the dairy industry. Local creameries, and the town's role as a transportation and shipping center in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, fostered prosperity that produced Ferndale's outstanding Victorian-Gothic residential and false-front commercial architecture.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Ferndale Chamber of Commerce Historical Committee and community effort. September 12, 1976.