#0806 Fort Yuma


#0806 Fort Yuma

Site information:

Off of Quechan Dr, near the back of the Quechan tribe administration complex, Winterhaven


Plaque information:

State plaque

Plaque text:

Fort Yuma

Originally called Camp Calhoun, the site was first used as a U.S. military post in 1849. A fire destroyed the original buildings. By 1855 the barracks had been rebuilt. Called Camp Yuma in 1852, it became Fort Yuma after reconstruction. Transferred to the Department of the Interior and the Quechan Indian Tribe in 1884, it became a boarding school operated by the Catholic Church until 1900.

First registered June 1965. Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Quechan Tribe and Squibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus, April 29, 1989.

Registered 6/28/1965