#0630 St. Vincent's School for Boys


#0630 St. Vincent's School for Boys

Site information:

0.7 mi E of Hwy 101 on St. Vincent Dr, 4 mi N of San Rafael


Plaque information:

State plaque

Plaque text:

St. Vincent's School for Boys

In 1853, Timothy Murphy, Irish-born pioneer of Marin County, gave 317 acres of land to Archbishop Alemany for educational purposes. Here the Sisters of Charity in 1855 founded a school that, as St. Vincent's School for Boys, has been maintained and enlarged by successive archbishops of San Francisco.

Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Marin Committee on History and Landmarks of the Native Sons and Native Daughters of the Golden West, October 19, 1958.

Registered 1/29/1958