#0535 Carpinteria and Indian Village of Mishopshnow


#0535 Carpinteria and Indian Village of Mishopshnow

Site information:

Carpinteria Valley Museum of History, 950 Maple Ave, Carpinteria

34.397487, -119.517889

Plaque information:

State plaque located at museum site.

Second plaque located at 1,000 S Carpinteria Ave, Carpinteria
34.392441, -119.510804

Plaque text:

La Carpinteria (1769)

The Chumash Indian village of Mishopshnow, discovered by Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo on August 14, 1542, was located one-fourth mile southwest of here. Fray Juan Crespí of the Gaspar de Portolá Expedition named it San Roque on August 17, 1769. Portolá's soldiers, observing the Indians building wooden canoes, called the village La Carpinteria-the Carpenter's Shop.

Plaque erected by the County of Santa Barbara in Cooperation with the California State Park Commission.

Registered 5/31/1955