#0888 Hayes Mansion
#0888 Hayes Mansion
Site information:200 Edenvale Ave, San Jose
Plaque information:State and private plaques
State plaque text:Hayes Mansion
Jay Orley and Everis A. Hayes built this Mission Revival Style mansion, designed by George W. Page in 1904. The Hayes Brothers were early San Jose Mercury publishers, prominent valley politicians, and were actively involved in establishing the Santa Clara Valley fruit industry. The mansion consists of 62 rooms, 11 fireplaces, and was paneled in over a dozen different woods.
Originally registered December 29, 1975. Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Stella B. Gross Charitable Trust and Mountain Charlie Chapter No.1850, E Clampus Vitus, April 19, 1986.
Private plaque text:The Hayes Mansion
Mary Hayes Chynoweth, matriarch of the Hayes family, built this 65 room, 41,000 square foot Mediterranean Revival-Style mansion to replace an earlier Victorian one which had been destroyed by fire. While she did not live to occupy the mansion herself, her two sons and their families lived in the house for four decades.
Everis Anson Hayes and Jay Orley Hayes were two of San Jose’s most influential and illustrious citizens. E.A. Hayes served in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1904 to 1918. J.O. Hayes was founder and president of the California Prune and Apricot Growers Association, which later became known as Sunsweet Growers. Together the two brothers owned and published the San Jose Mercury and the San Jose Herald Newspapers.
The Edenvale Estate was a center of social and political activity for the Santa Clara Valley and was visited by many distinguished public figures.
The Hayes Mansion was designed by architect George Page and completed in 1905. Renovation and remodeling was completed in 1994 by the public/private partnership of the City of San Jose and the Renaissance Conference Company.