#0282 El Dorado


#0282 El Dorado

Site information:

NW corner of Mountain Ranch Rd and Whiskey Slide Rd, Mountain Ranch


Plaque information:

Private plaque

Plaque text:

El Dorado

Patented as a townsite in 1872, this early town derived its name from a sawmill located here. A post office established at Mountain Ranch in 1856, was moved to El Dorado in 1868 and El Dorado has thus became known as Mountain Ranch. This bell was used from 1885 to 1953 in the local school. Established as Cave City School District in 1855. In 1946 this school joined with the Banner District to become the El Dorado Union Elementary School District.

Erected by El Dorado Union Community Club. Dedicated by Calaveras County Historical Society June 17, 1956. Rededicated 1996.

Registered 1/8/1938