#0414 La Grange


#0414 La Grange

Site information:

30173 Yosemite Blvd, La Grange


Plaque information:

State and private plaques

State plaque text:

La Grange

French settlers originally established the community of French Bar along the Tuolumne River in 1850. After the destructive floods of 1851-52, citizens of French Bar relocated one mile upstream above the flood plain. Renamed La Grange, the new town prospered as a mining and agricultural community, and served as the county seat of Stanislaus County from 1856 to 1862.

Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with Morada Parlor No. 199, Native Daughters of the Golden West.  October 13, 1984

Private plaque text:

La Grange

This area has seen four phases of mining – placer, tunneling, hydraulic, and dredging. This bucket, one of a chain of 100, holds 12 c.f. and is from one of the worlds largest dredges. The Tuolumne Gold Dredging Co. started operation of the dredge on June 15, 1938 and continued until 1949 when it was abandoned about 3 miles south of here. Other and smaller dredges operated on this river west of La Grange.

Dedicated Oct. 29, 1977 Estanislao Chapter No. 58, E Clampus Vitus
Registered 11/15/1948