.

#200:  Mission San Juan Capistrano

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >>

Location:

NE corner of Ortega Hwy and Camino Capistrano, San Juan Capistrano

33.502113,-117.662946

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

Founded in 1776 by Padre Junípero Serra, this is the seventh in the chain of 21 missions established in Alta California to Christianize and civilize the Indians. The stone church was destroyed in 1812 earthquake. Expropriated during Mexican rule, the mission was returned to the Catholic church in 1865 by proclamation of President Abraham Lincoln.

California State Park Commission



©2009 David Schmitt