.

#201:  Pioneer House of the Mother Colony

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >>

Location:

414 N West St near Sycamore St, Anaheim

33.836223,-117.928088

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

First house built in Anaheim, 1857, by George Hanson, founder "The Mother Colony", group selecting name given settlement. This German group left San Francisco to form grape growing colony. Southern California Vineyards became largest in California until destroyed, 1885, by grape disease. Colony started producing Valencia oranges. Here once resided Madame Helena Modjeska, and Henry Sienkiewicz, author of "Quo Vadis".

Marker placed by California Centennials Commission in cooperation with Grace Parlor No. 242, N.D.G.W., Mother Colony Parlor No. 281, N.S.G.W. Dedicated July 16, 1950



©2009 David Schmitt