#794:  McFadden Wharf

<< 1 2 3 >>


In plaza near start of Newport Pier, Newport Beach





State Plaque



From the Guidebook:

The original wharf on this site was completed in the summer of 1888 by the McFadden brothers. As the seaward terminus of their Santa Ana and Newport Railway it became the funnel through which flowed a major part of the lumber and other goods that built Orange, San Bernardino, and Riverside Counties during the period from 1891 to 1907.

From the plaque:

The original wharf at this site was completed in the winter of 1888-89 and was connected by railroad with the hinterland in the winter of 1890-91. It served as a shipping and distributing point for Orange, San Bernardino, and Riverside counties until 1907, and provided the nucleus from which developed the city of Newport Beach.

Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the City of Newport Beach, October 1, 1965.

©2009 David Schmitt